FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com
A Beer a Day: Beer 5: Bell's Oberon Ale

« Home | Beers 3 and 4: Upland Maibock and Saison » | Beer 2: Orange Blossom Pilsner » | Beer 1: Goose Island Summertime » | The name says it all. »

Beer 5: Bell's Oberon Ale

After a soild weekend spent living the rock and roll lifestyle, it’s back to the grind for some no-nonsense Monday updatin’.

It’s been quite warm here over the past few days, so having refreshing seasonal beers on hand at all time is of the utmost importance. Fortunately, I still have three bottles left in the seasonal sampler that I made for myself last week at Bloomington’s own Big Red Liquors. Right now, I’m about to crack open #4 - Bell’s Oberon.



Ah, Bell’s. My roommate and fellow beer lover Drew has always spoken highly of this brew from the Great Lakes State, but I’ve never actually had the pleasure to make its acquaintance until now. As a lifelong fan of the Fightin’ Irish, I’m usually leery of all things spawned in Wolverine Country. However, even when vanquishing enemies, I always have to to pause long enough to drink his beer first.


This man is not my friend.

Drew was right: Oberon is impressive. Normally, when I crack open any kind of wheat-based spring seasonal, I’m met with the smell of either oranges or coriander. Not one for following trends, eschews the typical accents in favor of something unexpected: the grapefruit. Personally, I like this move. Of all the citrus fruits, grapefruit is the unsung hero, and its natural bitterness is the perfect opener for Oberon’s hop-loaded ending notes.


Hail to the king.

With all the bitterness bounding around, you’d imagine that Oberon might pack a whallop of an ending: you’d be right. For some reason, I really noticed this one. It was like chewing on a citrus peel: not a terrible experience in and of itself, but not something I’d like to do every day. This is a minor complaint, though, and possibly a personal on. If you’re looking for a smooth, professional wheat beer to provide that cooling touch this summer, Oberon might be just godly enough to do it.

mmmmmmmmmmm... grapefruit. love.

Post a Comment