FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com
A Beer a Day: Beer 1: Goose Island Summertime

« Home | The name says it all. »

Beer 1: Goose Island Summertime



For the first post on this new blog, I wanted to cover a beer that I’ve been really high on ever since I finally tried it towards the end of last summer. As the summer seasonal offering from Chicago’s Goose Island, Summertime is the Illinois brewer’s capable foray into the world of Kölsch bier.

Well, sort of.

See, according to the complicated world of brewing, a beer is only a Kölsch if it meet the following requirements: it must be brewed in or around Cologne, Germany (the city from which the beer gets its name), and, like many German beers, it must conform to the German purity laws, also known as the Reinheitsgebot. What does that mean for you, the consumer? Well, if you actually listen to my recommendation and get yourself some Summertime, you won’t be getting an truly authentic Kölsch; rather, what you’ll actually have is a fine American replica of an international favorite. Kind of like this:


American soccer: 100% of the action, 10% of the interest.

Personally, given my geography, that’s good enough for me. Also, Chicago lucks out by sharing enough letters with Cologne to occasionally confuse spellcheck, so, in the spirit of inclusion, I’m willing to bend the rules. No other city could get away with this, though. Milwaukee, I’m looking at you.


Milwaukee: We’ll Start Some Shit

Anyway, back to the drink at hand. As you might’ve guessed based on the name, Summertime is one of those beers best enjoyed when you’re almost too hot to live. Its mild bitterness, coupled with a clean finish and refreshing carbonation, renders it insanely drinkable. While some might label its flavor as thin or lacking, I find it subtle enough to handle during the fires of summer and just memorable enough to keep you heading back to the fridge. Plus, unlike many other summer seasonals, Summertime doesn’t fall into the sweetness trap. You won’t find coriander anywhere near this bottle, which is a relief. It’s a well-known fact that coriander ruins everything. That son of a bitch.


Fuck YOU!!

I remember the barbeque I went to the night I found this lifesaver. The Colts were about to play the Giants, the chicken had just finished roasting, and I was sweating through my teeth. Luckily, I’d picked up some of this on a whim. Before I knew it, I was five beers in, debating the relative merits of the cover 2 defense with a girl who, as I later found out, had never watched football before. In short, it was a great night.

In summation, if you’re a fan of wheat beers who’s in search of something lighter for enjoyment during the coming dog days, Summertime just might be your match. It’s not the greatest beer on the planet, but it’s not going to let you down when the going gets burn-y. I can only hope to match its workman-like dedication in my own, more blog-related endeavours.

Check out more from Goose Island via that link over yonder, and come back tomorrow. We're doing this all over again!